"He had a sandwich in his hand, and they thought it was a gun. It’s like Michael Brown all over again," she told the paper.
Sexualities (And Other Terms One Should Know)
- (Please assume by "women"/"female", I mean anyone who identifies as a woman, same goes for men)
- Heterosexual: A man sexually attracted to woman and vice versa.
- Homosexual: A man sexually attracted to a man or a woman sexually attracted to a woman.
- Bisexual: Sexually attracted to two or more genders.
- Pansexual: Sexually attracted to all genders.
- Demisexual: The sexual behavior of having a bond with a person before having sexual attraction.
- Asexual: Having no /sexual attraction/ to others.
- Heteroromantic: Attracted romantically to the opposite gender.
- Homoromantic: Attracted romantically to the same gender.
- Biromantic: Attracted romantically to two or more genders
- Panromantic: Attracted romantically to all genders
- Demiromantic: Only able to feel romantic affections to someone who has a bond already with you.
- Aromantic: Having no /romantic attraction/ to others.
- Transexual/Transgender (Term depending on generation and location): An individual who identifies as the opposite gender then the one they are assigned at birth to be. Often shortened to trans
- Cisgender: Someone who identifies as the gender that they were assigned as at birth. (ex. matches their birth certificate) Often shortened to cis
- Intersex: Someone who has ambiguous genitalia that doesn't fit into our strict dichotomy of uterus or testes. Often forced into surgery to correct their genitals at a very young age, causing psychological and physical harm later in life
- Nonbinary: Outside of the gender binary of male and female. (Can be used as an umbrella term or as its own identity)
- Genderqueer: Outside of the gender binary. (Can be used as an umbrella term or as its own identity, but be wary of using it as an umbrella term because it contains queer, which some people still consider a slur and don't like having it applied to them)
- Agender: Someone who doesn't identify as any gender/experiences a lack of gender.
- Bigender: Someone who identifies as two separate genders.
- Genderfluid: Gender that changes.
- Demigirl: Identifying partially as a woman, but not wholly.
- Demiguy: Identifying partially as a man, but not wholly.
- Reblog to inform! And if there's any I missed or anything that should be clarified, please message me! Always looking to expand the proper vocab. : )
BREAKING: After six months being captured, the 200+ schoolgirl hostages of Boko Haram will be released in a ceasefire agreement, says the Nigerian government.
Finally and Hopefully.
BREAKING: From @AP: BREAKING: World Health Organization admits botching attempts to stop the Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
More @AP on @WHO's “botching” of Ebola response: “nearly everyone” involved in the response failed to notice spread http://time.com/3516777/u-n-we-botched-response-to-the-ebola-outbreak/ …
STOP trying to prove that you’re not “slutty” like other girls and that’s why you deserve respect from boys
ALL girls deserve respect and their sex lives and sexual histories have absolutely NOTHING to do with the level of respect they deserve
STOP trying to set yourself apart from other girls, we are all in this together and we NEED to support each other
On Sunday Oct. 12, @SafyHallanFarah created the hashtag #EastAfricanFeminism with this note: “to hopefully facilitate a discussion with myself (tho you’re welcome to join me).” The rest, as they say, is storified below. Total brilliance. Full of life.
This was (and is!) a really lovely conversation. The hashtag itself can be read here.